Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas



Merry Christmas to all family and friends; old, new, and those I've yet to meet.

Many things have happened this year, both good and bad, and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which. Jackie O. said "You can't separate the good from the bad, nor should you wish to."

2006 started with my roommate, and dear friend, James deciding to forgo further treatment for his cancer. While honored to share and witness the process of getting ready to die, it wasn't always easy to accommodate his needs and my own need to get on with my life. Whenever I felt especially challenged I tried to remember how much more of a challenge it all must have been for him. I learned much from James and his friends and I hope I added some joy to his life. In June James passed from this life to the next at home surrounded by family and friends.

A month later, when the dust had settled from all of that and I felt like I could take a breath and pay more attention to other things, work ratcheted up the stress and pressure. And while I devoted all of my time and energy into doing all that was expected there, I took no joy in the process. I was so unhappy, actually, that I thought there must be a better way.

Instead of digging myself out of that hole I started to burrow out in a new direction. I found creating this blog such fun that I started to think about how to do something similar as a career. My new roommate, Keith, who moved in late July/early August and has been such a blessing, suggested learning a web design program and start creating web pages. While that sounded great, I thought to do it well I'd need to know about programming, graphic design, photograph manipulation, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Then I'm having lunch with my friend Anna who's an admissions counselor at The Art Institute of California - San Diego. She's telling me about this terrific degree program they have that her younger brother is in called Interactive Media Design. It's a 3 year Bachelor of Science degree program that includes classes in programming, graphic design, photograph manipulation, and a whole bunch of other stuff. And I'm not using creative license here, she literally named off the exact classes I was thinking of. I said "sign me up".

And she did. I applied and was accepted. I applied for student loans and was approved for the entire cost of tuition, fees, books and supplies. I'll be in debt up to my ears when I graduate, but the way God and The Universe work, I've no doubt that will be taken care of when the time comes. January 8th I start classes. I can't adequately begin to tell you how excited I am to be going back to school and learn new things.

While all of that is coming about, I'm putting in 1 to 3 hours overtime most nights at my job and I'm thinking there is no way I can do this job and go to school full time. Then my friend Chuck mentions that the architect firm he works for is looking for a new receptionist. Two interviews later I have a new job. As I write this I'm officially unemployed. My last day at Wawanesa was Friday, the 22nd. I start my new job Wednesday, the 27th.

I haven't even gotten to the best part yet. For that I must give a big shout of thanks to, and praise God for, my two brothers. When my father passed, though not a rich man, over 90 percent of what he had he left to my brothers, not agreeing with my "chosen" lifestyle. My brothers have taken it upon themselves to divide things up equally. Even though they have their own kids to put through college, they've generously shared equal portions of what they received. It's enough to allow me to take a new job at a significantly lower wage while I go to school.

Icing on the cake of this year was a memorable birthday party and trips to San Francisco, Ensanada, Palm Springs, Catalina Island, and Illinois. I've rediscovered my creativity through photography and writing. And throughout 2006 I've been blessed with amazing friends whose care and generosity have helped me over the rough spots and made the bright spots dazzling.

As I close the door on 2006 I look at it with affection, but I'm ready to put it on the shelf. I can't wait to open up 2007 and see what's in store. For the first time in a very long time I feel like everything's going to be OK.

Love to all, thanks to God!

No comments: