Friday, December 08, 2006

My Fathers House 1967 - 2006


My mother took this picture of the house on Graham Street shortly after we moved in, in 1967. It had been broken up into separate apartments. My parents turned it back into a single family home. It had 10 foot ceilings and beautiful, carved mouldings along the floors and around all the doors and windows. When we moved in it had a coal burning furnace. A truck used a shute to deliver coal through a window into the basement. I helped my father shovel coal into the furnace. Later we got a furnace that burned gas.
We used the bathroom at the end of the hall on the 2nd floor. Otherwise we lived on the first floor. The rest of the rooms upstairs were mostly storage. I would get very scared walking to and from that bathroom at night, down that long hall with large, dark, empty rooms on each side. Although, the bathroom itself was quite nice with an old fashioned claw foot tub.

No comments: