Sunday, December 09, 2007

Smooth Jazz





When I lived in Illinois the radio stations I listened to most of the time were a light rock/pop station and WILL Public Radio, which is one of the best classical music stations in the country. Since moving to San Diego I've discovered a really nice light rock/pop station, but I can't find a classical music station that I like. The Public Radio station does play classical music at night and there is a commercial classical music station, but neither one compares to Champaign's WILL and they haven't held my attention for long.

But I have happily discovered an excellent Smooth Jazz station. Smooth Jazz is a less raucous, calmer side of jazz that is relaxing to listen to without being boring. It's mostly instrumental, which I appreciate after a day of dealing with people in person and on the phone.

The Smooth Jazz radio station is KIFM. It's at 98.1 here in San Diego. They have an online stream that you can play over your computer at http://www.kifm.com/. Listening to it online is nice because there are fewer commercials. Although they tend to have gaps in the stream, sometimes lasting a long time. But they put out this nice sampler album every year that features a good mix of the different smooth jazz artists, instruments, and styles. And all of the proceeds go to charity.

I've just recently discoved Michael Buble and I've become a little obsessive about his music. I was watching a YouTube video on another blog that had his song "Feelin' Good" as the sound track and I was so blown away I had to find out where that music came from. As it turns out a couple of his songs I've heard, and liked, but they just didn't grab me until this one did. To my dismay I found his CDs in the "Easy Listening" section at Border's. He should be in "Jazz" because his music is best described as big band jazz swing. Critics have called him the new Frank Sinatra and I think that's a fair comparison. He's got a big, rich voice and even though he's a young guy he's a fully mature musician putting lots of joy and love into his music. He appears on stage with a full orchestra which is almost unheard of. He's got about four albums out. I only have two so far, but I'll be getting the others soon. Until now, when I put on my mp3 player I'd set it to "shuffle", but since I've added his two albums, they're all I've wanted to listen to.

Jesse Cooke is a guitarist they played on the radio that so grabbed my attention I had to wait for them to announce his name. Again I went looking in the "Jazz" section of Border's, but after asking for assistance I found him in the "New Age" section. This album is a good buy because it's 2 CDs, both filled with great melodies and rhythms that'll get you moving without blasting out your ears. I keep one of them in the car and one in the CD player in the house. I'll either turn them on directly on quickly switch them on when the radio has too many commercials, or too much Christmas music.

Chris Botti made a big splash a year or so ago when someone brought him to Oprah's attention. She fell in love with his music and had him on her show. I think all of the attention is highly deserved. He's got the richest, smoothest, most velvety trumpet sound I've ever heard. He doesn't blast you away with high notes the way Maynard Ferguson used to do. But he sings to you in a soft, gentle way that just makes you want to close your eyes and drift. After a crazy, hectic morning at work I've put on his music at lunch and completely calmed down. It would also be my first choice to play during a romantic evening with the lights low.

No comments: