Friday, March 16, 2007

I didn't know...

I didn't know people would think everything was about them.
I didn't know they would be so judgmental about everyone else.
I didn't know I would be blamed for their ignorance.
I didn't know people will think only their own feelings are valid.
I didn't know we should do more for strangers than for our family.
I didn't know they could look at you but see someone else.
I didn't know people would refuse to see any point of view but their own.
I didn't know they could see an act of kindness as an act of selfishness.
I didn't know they will berate your poor competitive instinct, then sulk when you start winning.
I didn't know every corner of the country was interesting to visit, except the one I live in.
I didn't know that everyone will be interested in your news only if it's good. Or if it's really, really bad.
I didn't know people will fail to see how anyone could have an opinion that was at all different from their own.
I didn't know they will feel justified in giving out their own advice, but feel no obligation to consider yours.
I didn't know that when you open up to someone, they'll shoot you down, then complain that you never open up to them.
I didn't know everyone wants an audience, but will refuse to applaud you; even if, especially if, you're better.
I didn't know that if someone recognizes that they owe an apology, they'll do anything to squirm out of giving it.
I didn't know they would always insist on their own way, then wonder why I had no answer when they finally asked me what I wanted.
I didn't know they could praise your many good qualities, then reject you completely when you prove to be human.
I didn't know they would point out all of your faults, but refuse to acknowledge any of their own.
I didn't know a man could become the very person he complained about.
I didn't know life would demand your best, would force you to grow in so many ways, then fail to be impressed by any of it.
I didn't know that people could take and take, and you had to give more and more, and the more you gave, the more they felt they were owed, until you're exhausted. But it never occurs to them that they should give anything back. They wonder what's wrong with you; why did you stop?
I didn't know I would do these things, too.

No comments: