Sunday, March 01, 2009

Kidnapped to Coronado





2 weeks ago Heriberto and Skip sent me emails about going to Tijuana for lunch, but I was unsure about what documents are now required to get back across the border into the U.S. so I suggested Julian. Several emails went back and forth, but nothing was confirmed so I figured nothing would happen that weekend and we’d get together another time. But I underestimated Skip and Heriberto.

Sunday, the 15th, I came home from church, went into my bedroom, closed the door, and laid down for a nap to make up for a poor night’s sleep. A short while later our doorbell sounded, I heard voices as my roommate let whoever it was in, and then I got a knock on my door. Going out into the living room I found Skip and Heriberto wanting to know what the plan is.

Heriberto said we’ll be like Sex and the City; four friends going out. I observed that if we’re going to be like Sex and the City, we’re going to need cuter shoes!

So I threw on a some clothes and went with Skip and Heri to Starbuck’s a block away while Keith showered and met us there shortly (former military boys clean up quick). We decided to drive downtown to the cruise ship terminal and take the ferry across the bay to Coronado and have lunch at Panera.

We piled into Heriberto’s car, which is one of those really well-designed cars that are small on the outside but have plenty of room for four big guys on the inside. Heri found great parking; we soon had our tickets and just had a short wait to board the ferry. Even though the day was cold and cloudy, it’s a fun 30 minute ride across the bay to Coronado. Skip was super hungry so as soon as we got off the boat at Coronado we boarded a bus for a faster trip to Panera.

It was a really fun excursion. Skip had a new pocket sized Canon camera, Heriberto had his big Nikon, and Keith took his new video camera so I left my camera at home. The top picture is from Skip and the other 2 are by Heriberto. You can see more of Heri's photo on his blog. Skip took more photos and also a video at the restaurant and Keith has yet to download his video, so I’ll add those as soon as I get them.

And we’re still working on the shoe thing.

No comments: