Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Proud of My People


I’m still glowing with pride at how well the international Marriage Equality Protest went on Saturday, especially my 25,000 San Diego peeps who made ours one of the biggest. Now, I can take no actual credit for any of it. I didn't even make the sign I carried. All I did was show up. But that was all I needed to do, better minds than mine did the rest.

And the way they did it is being called a paradigm shift in gay activism. Without going through any of the national gay organizations, the protest was put together through websites and online word of mouth. For a complete explanation of what happened and what it means read Rex Wockner’s excellent post by clicking here.

Since Saturday I’ve been thinking of all the gay people who lived and worked in neighborhoods full of Yes on 8 signs and people who supported it. I heard some of their stories and they were feeling truly beat up by the experience. I pray that Saturday they felt a big weight lift off of their shoulders when folks across the country, in towns big and small, even across the border in Canada, in all kinds of weather, all got out to show their support at the same time.

My new hero is kccat in Cleveland who roped her husband into making signs and going to the protest with her. Click here to read her story and see pictures of them bundled up in full-on winter parkas with hoods and umbrellas to protect them from the freezing rain. Not gay. Not Californian. Bad weather. Out there anyway!

2 comments:

EMullins said...

We had almost 700 protesters at City Hall here in Cincinnati (which is A LOT for us!). It was cold and nasty out, but still an amazing, inspiring day. I'm hoping to get time to blog about it later tonight.

Fifty K said...

You are a total sweetie!!! I was happy to do it and will do it again in feet of snow if I have to. Even though I am not gay, I am extremely proud of the gay community for their actions on the day of national protests. I am really proud of all you from San Diego. I must get it from you guys. I was born in San Diego ya know. LOL. I hope you had a great holiday and look forward to following what's going on California on your blog. Happy blogging!