Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So. California Wildfires Day 4

Thanks to those who've called or emailed expressing concern about how I'm surviving the wildfires currently scorching southern California. I've been mostly unaffected. I live almost within sight of Downtown San Diego and none of the fires are threatening the heart of town. Just north of me Mission Valley is a formidable barrier and the fires to the south are about 15 miles south. We can smell the smoke in the air and it can make our throats a little scratchy and dry out our eyes, but otherwise it's not bad. Once in a while I see some ash drifting down.

Our office has been open each day although only about half the staff have made it in. Some have been evacuated and others are taking care of family that has been evacuated. But I don't think anyone from work has lost their home so far.

Downtown San Diego has been somthing of a ghost town the past 2 days. There's been very few people and even less traffic. For the most part the only people walking around downtown are tourist who I feel sorry for. They arrive on their vacation only to find the town empty and most things closed. It's not that the major attractions have been threatened by flames, they just they don't have the staff to keep them open. It's amazing to think that 1/3rd of the county has been evacuated. Despite initial reports that some people were reluctant to evacuate, most people have been proactive, got ready ahead of time, and evacuated when it was recommended, before it was mandatory.

Keith and I are hosting good friends Randall, Andreas, and Molly who left their home in Del Mar. It's been great having them here. Not only are they terrific guys and great company, but it's nice to do something for someone. I realized today that being single and childless tempts too much self-absortion. It's good to go outside oneself and take care of someone else. I thought I'd learned that lesson long ago, but remindes are good. It'd be nice if they stayed but not nice if they lost their home. But I don't think that'll be a problem. The radio tonight said that some people were being allowed back into their neighborhood.

I was completely frustrated riding home on the bus afterwork. All the soot in the sky turned the sunset the color of a blood orange that was reflected beautifully in the bay, but I didn't have my camera with me. By the time I got home the sun was down and I was lucky to get the top photo. Although the colors in it are gorgeous. I sort of expect God's hand to reach out and Adam's come up to meet it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are OK. Your Mom suggested reading your account on your blog. Laura will check into it, too.