Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Book Review

The Ebony TowerThe Ebony Tower by John Fowles

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"Now was acutely itself; yesterday and tomorrow became the myths."

The Ebony Tower is really well written. I just didn't like what it was written about. At its core: author tries to work out for himself on paper his conflicted feelings about having an affair or staying faithful to his wife, reducing women to two dimensional objects in the process. He concludes by equating his lack of courage to go through with it to his mediocre output as an artist. He fails to realize the courage it takes to honor the mother of his children. Of the four characters in the story the ones with the most honor are the women. Lots of people say Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman is really good, but this just made me feel like I need to wash my hands. Ugh.



View all my reviews

No comments: