Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ward No. 6

Anton Chekhov: The Collected Novellas and Short Stories in Multiple Translations (Unabridged): Over 200 Stories From the Renowned Russian Playwright and ... No. 6 , The Lady with the Dog and OthersAnton Chekhov: The Collected Novellas and Short Stories in Multiple Translations (Unabridged): Over 200 Stories From the Renowned Russian Playwright and ... No. 6 , The Lady with the Dog and Others by Anton Chekhov

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Reading the large volume Sixteen Short Novels, when I came to Chekhov's Ward No. 6 I downloaded this ebook to read while out and about so I wouldn't have to lug around the thick hardback. At 99 cents for all of his short stories and novellas its ridiculously cheap. I love holding and reading a good hardback, but I do enjoy highlighting passages that especially stand out and looking up references and words I'm unfamiliar with, turning every ebook into the ultimate annotated edition.

Though written in and about a very different time and place, Chekhov's characters seem like someone I might meet and enjoy talking to. Ward No. 6 is part of Chekhov's transition from physician and part-time short-story writer to full-time author of plays. A psychological horror story, it paves the way for existential writers Dostoevsky and Camus.



View all my reviews

No comments: