Thursday, April 22, 2010

Maidenhair Falls


As the trail continued to climb up to 900 ft above the desert floor, the canyon got narrower and the boulders got bigger until we're climbing over these minivan size behemoths. The trail also started to weave back and forth across a tiny trickle of a stream and a few palm trees appeared. Finally, after going further than we ever planned on a trail way more rugged than we were ready for, we sprawled on the broad, flat top of one of those boulders to rest before heading back down.

I knew there was something special at the very top of the trail and I didn't think we were very far from it, so I told Steve and Jeff to enjoy the sunshine and I'd be back in half an hour. After hiking exactly 15 minutes up the trail and crossing more and more water I came to Maidenhair Falls.

At 18 feet and little more than a trickle most of the year, Niagara it's not. But after hiking in the desert for a couple hours, coming to this cool, shady place with the sound of falling water and a cool clear pool to soak your feet in, it may be better.

The first thing I did? Pulled out my cell phone, of course!

Steve and Jeff, back down the trail, exhausted on the rock, wondering 'what did he get us into?' Hearing the phone ring. Thinking there wouldn't be any signal out there. Dammit!

I think they enjoyed the falls. It certainly was a memorable trip. We'll see what they say next time I suggest an outing.

No comments: